Thursday, April 24, 2014

Don Attix is exposed for what he is.....a guy who has lived a life to the fullest!

Thanks for taking on the task of organizing this group, like herding cats!.....
OK here's my 2 cents:

After SMCHS I went to SMC, commuted from home in the Oakland hills, worked my way through college at Bel Aire Displays printing and running the darkroom.
I started dating Karen Frank in high school, took her to our junior prom. Her first year of college was at U. of Utah. When she returned to go to Cal we continued dating and married 2 weeks after my graduation. We married at SMC in the chapel then took off for the Peace Corps. We spent 2 years in Venezuela working in the schools, helping with the COOP movement, established a community center that was taken over by the Shell Foundation and worked with a Junior Achievement program.
Upon returning to the Bay Area, Karen finished her degree at Cal and I spent a semester at Holy Names College in their graduate program for education administration (only 1 of 2 males on campus).
There were few if any teaching positions available in 1970 as then Governor Reagan was busy cutting back on the state budget.
After spending a season skiing and looking for mountain work I lucked into a job at United Airlines as a "steward".
Luck would have it as Karen was going to New York to dance. She joined the Merc Cunningham Dance Company and toured the world. With my airline job, I was able to join her in many exotic locations.
We moved back to the Bay Area in 1976 and bought our first house in Bernal Heights. I spent 15 years renovating a wonderful old Victorian where we had our only child, Adele.
We then moved to Mill Valley, where I spent another 12 years renovating a cottage house, while working as a Purser for United and doing remodeling jobs on the side.
After our daughter graduated from UCSB we moved to Nevada City, CA.
I retired from United in 2003 and continue to remodel our own home and do work for friends.
Karen and I spend our free time traveling the world from such exotic places as Burma, Cuba and Tibet to much of Western Europe, some of Africa, most of Latin America and a good deal of the Orient. I've managed to ski most resorts in the West, many in Europe, Argentina, New Zealand and Japan. We like to climb and ski in the spring and usually climb Mt. Lassen, if any of you would like to join us!
Our daughter lives in Truckee, works at Northstar and will be getting married this July. We are looking forward to being grandparents which she promises will happen soon!
In the meantime, I run the National Ski Patrol Senior emergency  training at Sugar Bowl and for the Western Sierra Nevada Resorts and will continue to do so until the knees give out!  Come on up and let's make some turns together!!!!

 Karen is still dancing having just choreographed a piece for the local high school dance department. This June will be our 46th anniversary.













1 comment:

  1. Great story as I have known the two of you and your families from the Harbor Dr. days.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments and upload images as well....