Saturday, May 31, 2014

An update from Greg Kelly...the Gripman of the SF Muni and so much more!!!

Hey Grads....a note from Greg Kelly who has a most interesting path in life from our days at St Mary's ....quite the life story.... and love story to boot!

Hey Grads....a great note from Greg Kelly....the SF cable car gripman extraordinaire!!! what a story!
Hi Grads Greg Kelly here,
After high school I went to St. Mary's College but in 1966 after 15.5 years of Catholic education I decided to try a different flavor. I went to SF State and majored in Art with an emphasis in ceramics. After graduation I got a job with the San Francisco Municipal Railway as a cable car gripman. I worked nights so that I could work in my ceramic studio in the garage in the day time.
I met my future wife, Kathy, when I was dating her roommate. We would run into each other here and there and in 1978 we started dating and in October 1981 we were married.
Eleven months after we were married the cable cars were about to be shut down for two years, I came home and told Kathy that I was going to take a leave of absence. Kathy was in the typographical union and worked at the SF Progress newspaper, I had money in the bank and our mortgage was less than $300 so this was doable. But what goes around comes around, after I was back at work at the cable cars Kathy said she was going to go to medical school! In 1989 she was accepted at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, NY. By this time we had a two year old daughter, Brigitte.

We rented our house to a friend and moved to NYC where Kathy got an MD and I got a Masters degree in Library Science from Queen's College, City University of New York.
In 1993 we were back in San Francisco: Kathy in the residency program at San Francisco Kaiser, Brigitte as a first grader at Yick Wo Elementary School but I had to go back to the cable cars. The SF voters passed Proposition E, the Library Preservation Fund in 1994 and in April, 1995 I became a librarian at the Western Addition Branch of San Francisco Public Library. I moved to the Main Library in 1999 and retired at the end of June, 2013. Kathy is at a clinic in Pinole with a few more years before retirement.

In May, 2000 we sold our house in San Francisco and moved to Orinda, three miles from St. Mary's College.

We love to travel. We have been to Italy and Spain, among other places. A memorable trip was a pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago (the Way of Saint James) across northern Spain. The Compostela is a certificate of accomplishment given to pilgrims on completing the Way. To earn the Compostela one needs to walk the last 100 kilometers to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and upload images as well....