Sunday, May 11, 2014

John LIneweaver has a story - errr... what he has termed an "auto-obituary" --- I beg to differ!!! This guy is ALIVE!

Browbeaten by Brian into Biographical Blogging, I will attempt to present an update on my life, without it coming across too much like an auto-obituary!
PROLOGUE
For reasons that will become apparent, I need to mention that I was born in San Francisco in early 1947, the product of a single mother and an unknown penis.  I was adopted fairly promptly by two loving folks, who became my true parents, Hans and Peggy Lineweaver, who had the good taste to remove me to Berkeley, where I joined my only (or so I then thought) sister Mary.  Schooled at The Madeleine for 8 years (luckily I never flunked), I was enrolled at St. Mary’s,  where I went largely-unnoticed for full term, and was flushed out with the rest of the pack in June 1964.

AND NOW, THE REST OF THE STORY
Somehow, I was accepted into UC Davis for the fall of 1965, where I mindlessly enrolled in 6 useless courses, the most beneficial of which was billiards.  I aced none, and managed to be permitted to advance to sophomoric status, but only if I attended summer school at UC Berkeley, where I took 3 more semi-useless classes, accidentally including a 2 unit upper division course in British History. Duh!
Rather than returning to Davis, I chose to transfer to Merritt College in Oakland, where I took a courses in Real Estate, Accounting, Economics, Phycology and Art History.  Do you think I may have been searching for something? The following semester, I transferred to St. Mary’s College in Moraga, and the safety of the Christian Brothers (right!).  Carpooling daily from Berkeley with lifelong friends Jim Burns and Bob San Souci—and the worst known drivers in the Western Hemisphere— we all managed to survive the stimulating courses in Ethics and Philosophy, while pursuing our majors, mine being Economics and Business Administration.  Extracurricularly, Burns conned me into working with Inner-City kids with him (he was a Democrat, then) in West Oakland, where I put my non-existent athletic skills to use in coaching basketball and track at a small grammar school.   Also, given the ever-intensifying Vietnam War, and my low draft number, I attempted to enlist in the Army Reserves, but I failed the physical, due to bad knees.  Knowing the Army, however, I was convinced that my knees would, indeed, pass a DRAFT physical, so I obtained another physical from a private physician, and convinced my local Army Reserve Unit Commander to accept my application.  I got IN!
In June 1968, I barely graduated from the Gaelic splendor of St. Mary’s College (thanks to the 2 unit upper division course I had mistakenly taken at Cal in the summer of 1966) and received exactly zero job offers, so I enrolled at Cal in their MBA Program, with a major in…….REAL ESTATE!  I had really loved the subject when I took it at Merritt JC!  Three weeks later, however, I was called up for Basic Training in the Reserves, and shipped off to Fort Ord in Monterey.  I survived the 16 weeks of training, side-by-side with 17-18 year old kids, the majority of whom were actually going off to Vietnam, and life altering—or ending-- experiences.  Very sobering, even for a wisened 21 year-old. After Training, I returned to Cal, and completed my Masters, and went to work in the only REAL job I have ever had, with Central Valley National Bank.  My job title was Loan Officer, but in my two years there, I never made a single loan.  My real duties were to appraise properties AFTER some senior officer had already made the loans and advanced about 125% of the value of the security, falsifying loan documents, and scamming loan examiners while covering up bank frauds. Fabulous experience, if I had wanted to be a lawyer!
It was during this time that I convinced my Dad to invest with me in the purchase of my first property, a 6 unit building near Lake Merritt in Oakland.  He invested the cash, and I invested my untried and well-hidden carpentry skills, so I promptly moved into the unfinished building basement, and built a 7th apartment unit.  Amazingly, it passed building inspection after only three attempts! We sold the building within 9 months, and traded up to a 12 unit building nearby.  SHOOTING FISH!    I loved this real estate thing, but hated my day job, and couldn’t wait to have enough dough to start my own business. However, the  day job did allow me to continue my hobby of coaching kids, which by then had expanded to include BASEBALL—another sport at which I sucked.  Meanwhile, the nuns at the school where I coached kept trying to introduce me to various available ladies—often single mothers—but I was able to duck their attempts for quite a while.  Those devilish nuns did, however, convince me to become a licensed Foster Parent, the result of which was my adopting my first child, Peter, who was the personification of Dennis the Menace, an 8 year-old towheaded, innocent looking monster. 
I quit my day job in 1972, and started a real estate brokerage company with an older woman (85+-), who had been in the business for several score of decades, and knew everything and everyone (when she could remember). I didn’t want to work weekends, so we decided we would focus on apartment and commercial properties.  She located the potential properties, I lined up the financing (from my former, crooked bank sources), and then I pounced on the owners, got the listings, and sold the properties.  MORE SHOOTING OF FISH!  We did extraordinarily well, at a time when one couldn’t help but do so, but unfortunately, my partner croaked. I decided that, after 9 long months, I had had enough of traditional real estate brokerage, and it was time to expand my experiences as an OWNER of real estate. 
I next entered into a partnership with a couple of sharp Jewish (sorry for the redundancy) boys, and we began real estate investing on a scale that Oakland hadn’t seen in decades.  This went on for about 8 years, culminating in what is STILL the largest tax-deferred real estate exchange in California history, in terms of the number of properties included.  It was absolutely impossible to lose money in commercial or apartment property during this period.  We could pick up an apartment building, re-paint, re-carpet and re-landscape, and flip it for 25-50%++ profit within 4 months, routinely.  Irony of ironies, the Jewish boys even got the Emir of Kuwait to become an investor in one of our last projects! I left that partnership to focus on my own properties---and my own sanity---in 1979.
It was about this time that I made two major life changes.  I bought my first house in the Oakland Hills, and I succumbed to the scheming of the nuns, and started dating the lovely Rose Elia Martinez, mother of 10.  More precisely, she had given birth to 5 children, and had adopted 5 of her nephews who had been orphaned when their parents were killed in an automobile accident in Mexico City. I had enrolled Peter at St. Anthony’s School in Oakland, where I was also coaching 2 of Rose’s kids, Eileen (the ONLY girl)and Andy, who was Peter’s age.  It was at a Parent’s Club meeting that I met Rose, and, truth-be-told, I made the mistake of asking the 5th grade nun about the cute young lady in the red dress, sitting in the front row. Rose had recently divorced, and we dated for about 2 years, while she attempted to get an annulment of her first marriage.  How the hell she expected to get an annulment with 5 kids, I don’t know, but it was important to her, so I bought it for her. We dated, and dated, and dated, until she finally told me that we would probably have to break up, because she couldn’t afford to keep buying new panty hose.   The panty hose excuse worked like a charm, so I proposed to her---though if you heard her tell it, the version might have been slightly different.
We were married on February 21, 1981, in the dead of winter, on the sunniest day of the year---I at the advanced age of 34!  The kids were deliriously happy, Rose’s mother was standing and applauding in the front row of the church, my parents would have been happy even if I was marrying Lucretia Borgia, the reception was filled with 450 people, Jim Burns’ father was dancing with the nuns, and Rose and I flew off to Hawaii, almost without need of an airplane.  We moved into my Alameda Victorian, which I had been renovating back to its original 5-story magnificence, but it soon became apparent that a 5-story, 100 year old house, replete with glass chandeliers, lace curtains, and delicate porcelain tiles, was NOT the house in which to raise 11 kids.  It would soon have been reduced to 1 story of rubble, so in mid-1981, we moved to Alamo (near Walnut Creek), where I found a house that was under foreclosure. It was originally built as an entertainment showcase, consisting of 9 bedrooms, 10 bathrooms, and nearly 10,000 sq.ft., on about 2 acres of land, on what was formerly a 52 acre horse ranch, but which had been sub-divided and being offered as lots for build-to-suit buyers, save for the fact that interest rates had reached the 21% level, and NO ONE was buying anything.  Perfect house for us, at a perfectly CHEAP price!
Life as a simple country boy was great for a while.  Rose surprised me with the news of the pending arrival of our first child together in the spring of 1982, and indeed, it was a surprise, because Rose had undergone the surgical reversal of a tubal ligation after we were married, and the results of such procedures were iffy. Danny Lineweaver was born on August 1, 1982, nearly 9 pounds of perfection.  He was adored by his 11 siblings, pampered by his grandparents and parents, but he would have NONE of the pampering.  He was INDEPENDENT, walked at 10 months, refused to talk at all, and had all the indications of becoming thoroughbred. Danny scooted, crawled and walked about, until one tragic day in July, 1984, after being put down for his afternoon nap, he attempted to climb out of his crib, apparently caught his tank top strap on the extended corner post of his crib, and accidentally hanged himself.  When going to answer a doorbell, Rose checked on him, saw the situation, and extricated him.  He was revived, but unfortunately, his little brain had been denied oxygen for too long, and he suffered severe brain damage.  We decided to care for him at home, rather than in a care facility, and the entire family was involved in his nurturing for the next 9 years.  Danny passed away from pneumonia in 1993 at the age of 11, but his life was not without great meaning.  Rose and I brought a product-liability lawsuit against the Crib Manufacturer and the Retailer, which we successfully settled in 1985, providing funds for Danny’s lifetime care, and also providing us with funds to form THE DANNY FOUNDATION. 




Among the most important accomplishments during the 20 year tenure of The Danny Foundation was:
1)      establishment of  Crib manufacturing standards, whereas only one existed previously
2)      requiring industry adherence to the new safety standards
3)      banning extended crib corner posts and all catch-points on cribs
4)      strengthening the structural integrity of cribs
5)      banning the re-sale of unsafe cribs
6)      strengthening the Government Recall and Recall Notification Process
While Rose and I were awarded The Jefferson Award in 2008 and many other national and regional honors for our work with crib safety and The Danny Foundation, our true reward was in giving some meaning to Danny’s sacrifice, and in honoring his memory. 
More on the Foundation can be found at www.dannyfoundation.com.
For the 20 years following Danny’s 1984 accident, life was hectic, purposed and full.  Rose and I were particularly careful to pay attention to ALL of the children—not only Danny—during this time, and we even wanted to have another child.  We DID, in fact, but we did so by adopting James John Lineweaver—Jimmy John—in 1987.  He was born in Mexico City, of Mayan Indian descent, and we smuggled him into the US, and legalized his status later.  Much easier that way, or at least, it was then, and the statute of limitations is no-doubt long passed. 
As of this writing, I have 12 surviving children—Javier, Alfredo, Eileen, Carlos, Willie, Peter, Andy, Luis, Eddie, Rick, Michael and Jimmy-- 27 grandchildren and 14 ½ great-grandchildren.  Many of our children have gone on to college, a few have had successful college sports careers—clearly not my genes—and most have married and had children---and some have grandchildren—my great-grandchildren.  Our daughter, Eileen --our only daughter--was the first to marry, and the first to have children.  Our second youngest, Michael, is the latest to marry, and the latest to have children.  Only three have not married, including young Jimmy John, age 27, and still a student in Amsterdam. All but 2 live with 30 minutes of “home”.
My Mom passed away in 1993 at the age of 80, one month after Danny.  My Dad remarried in 1996 at the age of 90, outlived his “bride”, and passed away in 2009 at the age of 102.  TOO BAD I was their adopted child, with THEIR long-lived genes!  My Dad and I became incredibly close in his later years, and I am thankful he was quite mobile and lucid until the end of his life.  An amazing man!  A few of you may remember that my Dad was a scientist, and the scientist in him encouraged me to seek out my birth parents, so that I could learn something about my own genetics, and potentially, some medical background.  He even gave me a notarized letter, giving his “blessing” to conduct a birth parent search.  However, I did not choose to go forward with that search until 2008. I don’t know if I delayed because I was distracted by other life events and duties, if I felt some disloyalty to my parents in conducting such a search (albeit I had Dad’s permission and blessing), or if I had a fear of what I might find. But after a chance meeting with a friend and neighbor, I changed my mind, when he told me his story of hiring of a private detective who conducted a simple records search, leading to his discovery of his birth mother. His result was less-than-uplifting, but it sparked something in me.  GOD KNOWS, I didn’t need MORE family!
I hired that same private detective, and armed with a 1947 court adoption record, the detective found records of my birth mother within days.  She had passed away many years before at the age of only 50, BUT she had had 5 children after giving birth to me.  I had 5 other siblings---or at least, half-siblings!  They were all born and still all lived in the Boston area.  I struggled about how I would go about contacting them, or whether or not I should contact them at all.  I didn’t want to intrude on their lives.  I didn’t want to shatter their image of their (our) mother. I didn’t know if their father was MY father, also, though I did determine that he had also passed away a couple of years before.  I got lucky.  I found out that their father had remarried, and I was able to contact the second wife directly, without contacting my siblings.  The message I received from her in return was very cryptic, in which she offered to meet me in San Diego, and she would “tell me things in person”, but only in person! Rose and I met with her at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego in 2008. She proceeded to tell the story of her husband, Bernard, a Boston native, and how HE had told her that he had been “involved” with my mother in San Francisco before I was born, and that he and my mother had “arranged” for me to be relinquished for adoption.  She said that he did NOT specifically admit to being my father, but that SHE thought that he was, based on physical resemblance (poor guy) and other characteristics and mannerisms.  She said he was UBER-Catholic, a Knight of Pythias (that’s worse than being a Knight of Columbus!), and would have been dis-owned by his family had he shown up in Boston with a knocked-up bride. She gave me several of his personal items, which I could have tested for DNA.  She also shared a lot of information about my siblings, and encouraged me to contact them, and suggested that they would be up to the shocking news.  She also shared that they were from a very wealthy, Boston Brahmin family, and were the owners of a 100 year old family business, so I should be cautious about my approach. When I got home, I sent the items off for DNA testing, but unlike the TV myth, the results were slow to come, and completely inconclusive.
I finally wrote my siblings a very sensitive and non-threatening letter introducing myself as the son of their mother, and their half-sibling, and potentially their full sibling.  I included evidence of my birth to their (our) mother, and evidence that I had no interest in their wealth---just interest in genetic information and any family history they might wish to share.  I sent the letter to all five of them simultaneously by Federal Express. Two days later, I got a phone call from my younger brother, Brian, whose last name is Rothwell.  He could not have been more gracious, caring and encouraging.  By the end of the call, we were both in tears, and we agreed that Rose and I would come to Boston the following week, to meet the family.  The meetings were magical—particularly because Rose had the ability to make anyone feel comfortable instantly upon meeting.  The first meeting involved Brother Brian and the 3 sisters, Bonnie, Brenda and Barbara
I was blown away by finally meeting someone into whose eyes I could look, and see myself looking back! That was my youngest sister, Barbara—the poor girl. She does have a full head of hair, but otherwise…..The following day I met Brother Bernard, whose picture you would have to see to believe the physical resemblance to me.  The B’s—Bernard, Brian, Barbara, Brenda and Bonnie. That evening, we had dinner with them and ALL their spouses and children, and the physical resemblances with the second generation are even more striking.  However, somehow, the females look good with my face! We spent the next couple of days touring with one or the other new relative, seeing the sights of Boston, and more particularly, “historical” Rothwell family sites.  EVERYONE was convinced that Bernard Senior was my father.  Only when we were leaving for the airport did I ask if Brian and Bonnie would be interested and willing to submit to a DNA test did the question come up. They readily agreed, and I whipped out some DNA swabs, took samples, and sent them off for testing when I got home.
Three weeks later, the DNA samples came back.  Bernard was NOT my birth father.  That mystery remains, and I have exhausted every possible line of research to determine who he might have been. I see one or more of The B’s every few months, and our visits grow in quality each time. I am Uncle John to 15 more!
I have had a tremendous amount of fun in researching my birth family history.  I have discovered my birth family roots back to the 1400’sa in Britain, their emigration to Boston, their wagon-train trek to California in 1857, and their settlement in San Jose shortly thereafter.  I have discovered that my Great-great- grandfather was the first elected sheriff of Santa Clara County, and many other fascinating facts about the family, and I continue to do so.  Most enjoyably, I have shared ALL these discoveries with my siblings, and they ALL are astonished at learning of the side of our family which they have known little about, probably due to the early passing of their (our) mother in 1976. Happily, I have also shared these discoveries and my “additional” family with my original sibling, Mary (now Mara Mikalis of Ashland, OR), and she shares in my excitement. It has also spurred my research into the Lineweaver Family history, which is interesting, but not nearly so adventurous.
Sadly, Rose passed away quite suddenly in September 2011.  I miss her and my life is altered greatly, but I have chosen to not dishonor our lives together by slowing down or retreating into disabling grief. My original and new families have rallied around me, and I have gained great strength from them.  I am strangely comforted by the fact that I no longer receive daily calls from them—which I take as testimony to the fact that they believe that I am doing well.  I am!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and upload images as well....