Monday, June 2, 2014

A parallel of our 50 year journey with that of John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley"

Since we are gathering from all parts of America (and even from the farthest of our origins in Europe!) for the Class of ’64 Reunion I am reminded of a book long ago read, but which I resurrected for this coming Event…..John Steinbeck’s Travels with Charley….. a 1960’s road trip of America where John Steinbeck took his poodle Charley with him to see America…..almost as we have done… The 50th anniversary edition of the book cautions the Reader that "it would be a mistake to take this travelogue too literally, as Steinbeck was at heart a novelist."    It is after all somewhat a story of a “wandering” and a musing of America.  What I do know is the book has some of my favorite lines or quotes which I pull up here as apropos for our Reunion.   I’d love to know if you agree: 

Five Quotes from John Steinbeck' Travels with Charley

Quote 1 – refers to all of us and our own 50 Year Journeys....


“A journey is like marriage.  The certain way to be wrong is to think you>control it.”

Quote 2 – refers to how most of you might feel after Brian has been hounding you for your stories!



“I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found.”

Quote 3:  How most of you must feel about writing your story!



“When I face the desolate impossibility of writing five hundred pages, a sick sense of failure falls on me, and I know I can never do it. Then gradually, I write one page and then another. One day's work is all I can permit myself to contemplate.”

Quote 4:  The story of our stories – it is a common theme I am seeing…..


“We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.”


And, as an epilogue….

Quote 5: Useful thought for the Reunion itself….. when your Classmates ask you “What’s up?” just remember this quote……

“A question is a trap and an answer is your foot in it.” 


 ENJOY THE REUNION EVERYONE!!!  See you all there!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and upload images as well....