Saturday, June 7, 2014

Hey Grads...Played golf with Phil Wanlin yesterday and he sent in his 50 year story!

Phil and I drove in the same golf cart yesterday and what a great time we had bot in golf and just talking about old times....  Here is his story!

Here is a quick snapshot of my past 50 years. After leaving S.M. I skipped my dream of traveling the United States for a year or two and  instead attended Contra Costa College to avoid the military draft. While there I played football and baseball, which led to a scholarship to the University of San Francisco. 

Again, I played two sports and after my senior year tried out unsuccessfully as a quarterback for the Cleveland Browns. I married during my junior year at U.S.F. and became the only parent on the team during my senior year at the age of 21. I went back to U.S.F. as a student assistant for the football team and graduated in 1969. The next year I took a teaching and coaching job at Salesian High School in Richmond, CA and after seven enjoyable years and two more kids moved to a public high school in Albany. 

I made a decision to stick with teaching and coaching as a career and except for a serious on the field accident in 1991 which prematurely shortened my coaching tenure I completed 35 more years at Albany High teaching history, government, and economics and retired three years ago. I have been living in Hayward since 1993. I have five wonderful grand children including two identical twin girls who are seniors at the University of Tenn.


I remarried in 1983 to Deborah  and we are now both retired from teaching and enjoying life with our two Labradors in Hayward.

Phil Wanlin
Here are two  photos, one with me and Barkley and the other with my wife Debbie and our therapy dog Posey.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and upload images as well....