Tuesday, June 3, 2014

John Robertson checks in from Chicagoland....it seems he has a midwestern sway on life

Hey Grads.... John Robertson is checking in from Chicago!! I am posting his story a bit late (I do apologize John!) but I was waiting for pictures and they will come. Anyway...here it is and as always, another St. Mary's Guy with a story and with a twist of a a Chicago experience... You may remember John for his promotion of the Peraltan as a member of the editorial and writing staff under John Zugnoni  (where is your story John Zugnoni??).... John has a midwestern bankers heart that is NOT like the one in front of the Bank of America Bldg in San Francisco (you know...the rock sculpture they call the "Banker's Heart")  ... enough.... I will let John tell his story.......

Hi, Brian. I wasn't sure where to put the info. on the blog, but thanks for doing the blog...it looks great!! Yes, I'm a Luddite. I see you are near Manchester NH, and I have many relatives in NH...they all came from Pittsfield, where my late uncle was the town doctor. Name is Argue, and my aunt still lives on Crystal Lake near Gilmanton Iron Works (Peyton Place, etc.). Anyway, here's an update on me:
Have been a commercial banker for 35 years, and am looking forward eagerly to retirement (the industry sucks, but you don't need to print that!).
I've been married for 44 years to my wonderful wife, Charlotte. We attend an Episcopal church in Winnetka, IL, where our kids were christened many years ago. I sing in the choir there and also for a civic chorale in Evanston, IL, where we live (go, NWU!, where my parents graduated from in the 30's). Have a son and granddaughter in Queens, NY, a son and granddaughter in Chicago, a daughter in Juneau, AK, and a son in Seattle.
Charlotte and I lived in Juneau for 9 years and loved Alaska, but not the weather and remoteness. My hobby became choral singing, opera, symphony, etc. I also missed golf courses in the Lower 48, and since I own a share of my parents' house in the Monterey area, I'm looking forward to more golf when I retire.
I have very fond memories of SMCHS, and saw a few grads at the SMC reunion last summer. I remember the Model UN team with Brian McGuire, Mike Oborne, Bob Ternes (I think), and several juniors who did a great job and helped us win us a trophy or two. Brian was also my debate partner, and we brought home a few trophies for that. Since neither of us was very good at sports, that was probably good enough. I've lived off and on in Chicago for 25 years, but also lived in Charlottesville VA (Univ. of Virginia) for 6 years, where I received an MBA and before that spent 2 years studying classical language in an MA program (no degree...family took priority).
My other avocation was the Naval Reserves, where I spent 30 years, retiring as a commander in 2005. That was a great experience and probably my true calling (if only I'd known earlier). I spent 10 years as a Naval Reserve Attache and had duty in Tunisia (twice), Morocco (twice), and Belgium (once), the high point of my career in 1994, helping out with the WWII 50th anniversary of liberation. I have a lot of very amazing stories of heroism, from people who have by now passed away.
SMCHS was a defining point in my life, since I learned a lot about humility, perseverance, and joy in achievement, but really, the thing that I remember most was the incredible camaraderie and spirit of the place...especially on the basketball court, where Marc Jamieson thrilled us, and I developed a lifelong love for watching basketball. So, as we approach March Madness, I'm rooting for the Virginia Cavaliers, now that St. Mary's College has taken a back seat in the WCC.
As a Chicago Cub fan, I have to be a basketball fan (or a hockey fan).
Sorry for being so long-winded, but I rarely correspond with any of my classmates, and look forward to talking with all of you in June.
SEE YOU ALL IN JUNE!

John
pictures:   Daughter Ann, wife Charlotte, and son Jim, taken in Seattle.
Ike Robertson (son) on left,Robin Yost (nephew) center, Jim Robertson (son) on right.
Robertson grand kids (Abby, 3, on left; Charlie, 5
and a "selfie" of me 50 years older!!!!   







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and upload images as well....