Monday, June 2, 2014

Rob Dicely posts his adventures and Cat Like reflexes in his story!!

Well I got a response from Rob Dicely after Buzz and Les posted their stories and shamed him into responding!!! (Thanks Rob! I and the rest of the Class appreciate this very much!).... He has apparently 9 lives or at least lives with those who do... but I don't know if the race car thing and the "cats" are a "9 lives insurance policy" but I can agree it may a better idea than a Gecko.....(no offense to the insurance companies out there!)....Anyway ...Rob has an interesting story and a way of life that just seems to be one of the most interesting....He also has something to say about our mascot! ......Here you go....

Hi Brian
I guess if Les and Buzz chimed in I should put in my two cents worth. I went to Cal Poly with Buzz. We raised a little hell together but he did other things with dirt. I raced my highly modified Honda motorcycle on scrambles tracks with the attitude I have always had, second place is first loser! I also built several ear wrecking, wheel standing V8 dune buggies during my college career. It took me five years on a four year program. How else could I fit in all those important extracurricular activities!

I met my wife Barbara at Cal Poly and we have been married for forty three years. She only had one kid------ME.

I went to work as an engineer at Mare Island Naval Shipyard in the nuclear quality control department building submarines. I enjoyed it for a while but it turned into too much paperwork.
I got my teaching credentials and began teaching high school. I taught auto shop, metal shop, drafting, photography, ag mechanics and ornamental horticulture. All the things I learned at St Mary’s?

When prop 13 hit I quit. I told them I was too good to baby sit.
Barbara and I had built our own home so I decided to get my contractor’s license and began another career. I enjoyed contracting and stayed small and good. During this time we became involved with conservation and wild cats. While burning the candle at both ends we worked our way into a new career, the Wild Cat Education and Conservation Fund (www.wildcatfund.org) and contracting came to an end.

For the past twenty five years we have been bringing our cat programs to over 800,000 people in the Bay Area. Our cats have been featured on many of the television stations in the bay area, Oregon ,and Denver. One of our cheetahs was the star of Siegfried and Roy’s Magic Box, a documentary of their career. Our cheetahs have raised over one million dollars for cheetah conservation.

I have always been a gear head. There is no such thing a too much speed or horsepower! (see pictures) I haven’t slowed down enough to knock little white balls around on grass. My cheetah does zero to seventy in four seconds. My 1969 427 Corvette doesn't go anywhere yet, but I’m working on it (see the pic!)

I look forward to the reunion and catching up on our lives. I do have some bad news however, St Mary’s Panthers are really St Mary’s black leopards and they have rosettes (see picture)

P.S. We have just opened our facility to private tours if you would like to meet our twenty four legged children.

Rob

Rob Dicely
Wild Cat Education and Conservation Fund
PO Box 430, Occidental CA 95465







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and upload images as well....