Sunday, March 9, 2014

Lary Henkel's Story

Here is another story sent by Lary Henkel to my e-mail....
My info....hmmm.  I attended Oakland City College just out of St. Mary's, got my AA in Law Enforcement while continuing my job at the Drug store where I had worked since my freshman year in H.S.  Coincidentally, I finally got out of OCC when the drug store closed so, with the draft breathing down my neck I joined the Marine Corps on a 3 year enlistment.  Long story short, after some specialized training, I headed off to Vietnam where I lasted 10 months out of my 13 month tour, was wounded, medevaced to Guam for two months in the Naval Hospital and sent back to the States for my last year at Marine Barracks, Naval Air Station, Alameda.
Upon discharge in April, '67, I applied and was accepted as a clerk with the FBI in San Francisco, transferred to Sacramento office in'71 where I worked in the FBI office nights and completed my degree in Criminal Justice at Cal State, Sacramento.  I then took the test for FBI Agent and was off to Quantico for New Agent's class in '73.  While in Sacramento I met my future wife, Kathleen and upon graduation from Special Agent's training and on my way to my first office assignment in Los Angeles, Kathleen and I were married.
While in L.A. we adopted two spectacular girls, Leslie and Lauren and, in 1989 I was transferred to the Sacramento FBI office where I served out my time and retired in 2001.  In short, the FBI career was amazing.  I worked a huge variety of matters from fugitives to copyrights, national security and was privileged to be involved in security planning for the 1984 Summer Olympics in L.A. and the 2000 Summer Olympics track and field trials in Sacramento.  Kathleen worked for the FBI for 10 years and was a paralegal in L.A. for a time.  Back in Sacramento she became involved in the American Endurance Ride Conference, a long distance horse riding group, and has served as it's executive director for the last 21 years. 
After retirement I started my own private investigative business and have worked part time for Home Instead Senior Care as an in-home caregiver.  My oldest daughter,  Leslie is a graduate of UC San Diego with a degree in visual media arts.  She worked a variety of jobs

in the bay area, taught English in Japan for a time and eventually, settled in Brooklyn, is married and expecting her first baby in July.   She works as a program administrator for the Parsons school of  design in New York.  A couple years ago, Leslie and 4 friends and a dog, sailed across the Pacific to New Zealand over about an 8 month period.  Lauren, the youngest is a graduate of UC Santa Barbara with a degree in communications.  She worked for a time for a company which wrote travel programs for students traveling abroad.  She is a world traveler herself having studied for a time in Costa Rica and having traveled extensively through Central America, Italy, Spain, Bali, Mexico and New Zealand among some other places I am surely forgetting.  She is also a certified nutritionist and worked for a time with Global Brigades in Ghana alongside doctors, nurses and other medical professionals providing medical assistance to the local populace.  She currently lives in Sonoma and works in Santa Rosa.  Well, that is much too long but there you have the Henkel history, post St. Mary's.     Lary Henkel





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and upload images as well....