Sunday, March 9, 2014

Brian McGuire's Story ....A Danish life with a dash of St Mary's flair....


SMClass of '64.....I have received a wonderful e-mail from our own Brian McQuire who lives and teaches at the University (...I will get more to add here) over in Denmark and I wanted to get his initial story and pictures up on the Blog today..... enjoy!....and he will be at the Reunion....


Dear Brian (as well as Mike and Lynn, and Bob!)
    I don't know how to do this blog business, but here are some pictures to provide you all with an update 50 years later!  You are welcome to put what follows on the blog!
    You will see my wife of 44 years, Ann Pedersen, together with my father's second wife, Margaret Keane, the artist, who now lives in Napa. There is supposed to be a Hollywood film about her life that will be out this autumn, based on her marriage with Walter Keane, who victimized her and claimed he painted half her paintings by himself.  She (Margaret, not Ann!) has become a Jehovah's Witness so she and I talk a lot about the Bible!
    You also see our son Christian Sung Dan Pedersen, adopted from Seoul Korea when he was five months old in 1980. He and his Greek-Danish girlfriend will at the end of June bring a son into the world, so I will become a grandfather, a status that many of the class of '64 long since have had.
    The picture of Christian and myself together was taken at Seven Falls, on a trail behind Tucson, Arizona, where my youngest sister, Mary Ann, lives. You also see us with the nuns of Saint Rita Abbey, a Trappist-Cistercian monastery south of Tucson. I go around visiting Cistercian houses and give talks about the history of the order--and will be doing so at New Clairvaux in Vina, near Chico, after the reunion.
    The house in a couple of pictures is the old farmhouse where we have lived since 1997, on the western end of the island of Zealand, where Copenhagen is at the east end.
    I still don't know if Ann will be accompanying me--I have bought air tickets for us both but she will not commit herself because of all the cats whose lives depend on us. We'll see, but in any case I am looking forward to seeing you all. I attended our 5th and our 40th reunions, and I think it just gets better.
All good wishes,
Brian Patrick McGuire







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and upload images as well....